If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (717) 510-6779

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Summer HVAC Fire Safety

5/20/2022 (Permalink)

HVAC Unit HVAC units can present fire hazards if they are not properly maintained.

During the summer, your HVAC unit is meant to keep your home or business cool. However, HVAC units can present fire hazards if they are not properly maintained. In fact, HVAC fires can be devastating, so it is important to have your HVAC unit inspected and serviced regularly by a professional. In this blog, we’ll introduce you to three common causes of HVAC fires. With this information, you can be proactive and thereby protect your home or business from a fire emergency resulting from your HVAC unit this summer.

Overheated Motor

HVAC units can catch fire as a result of the unit’s motor overworking. As a result of an overworking motor, heat increases within the unit and can therefore pose a risk for a fire to ignite. A few different things can cause your HVAC unit’s motor to overheat. Dirt or debris surrounding the unit’s motor can act as an insulator, causing the motor to overheat. This situation can be avoided by ensuring that your HVAC unit is regularly cleaned. Additionally, your unit’s motor can overheat if there is either too much or too little voltage being applied to power the motor.

Electrical Issues

Another reason as to why your HVAC unit may catch fire is faulty wiring or electrical issues. Electrical connections tend to naturally loosen over time. Additionally, if frayed or corroding wires are not repaired in a timely manner, they can cause electrical shorts, from which a fire might ignite. You can prevent this by scheduling regular HVAC unit inspections and making sure that wires are replaced when necessary in order to avoid electrical complications.

Leaking Fuel Line

A third cause is leaking fuel lines, which can lead to gas leaks. Gas coming into contact with heat is likely to result in a fire. If you smell gas in your home or business, especially in close proximity to your HVAC unit, it is important to treat the situation seriously.

We Are HVAC Professionals

Trust the HVAC professionals at SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team - Team Wall to thoroughly inspect and effectively service your HVAC unit. In order to most effectively maintain your HVAC unit and prevent fires, it is recommended that homeowners and business owners have their HVAC units inspected on a biannual basis by an HVAC professional. For more information about our HVAC Cleaning, Fire Damage Restoration, and general Cleaning services in case of an emergency, visit our website. You can also call your local SERVPRO Team Wall office, SERVPRO of Harrisburg West, at (717) 510-6779.

Other News

View Recent Posts