If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (717) 510-6779

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Three Hidden Residential Fire Hazards

12/2/2020 (Permalink)

27% of all fires ignite in residential homes, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. When we think of fire hazards in the home, objects that involve electricity or an open flame come to mind, such as electrical wiring and the stove. These are merely the more obvious catalysts of residential fires, as there can be other, lesser-known fire hazards in the home. Let’s learn more about 3 hidden residential fire hazards:

  • Laptops

Especially among those of us working at home, experiencing our laptops overheating while we’re working is a common occurrence. Overheated laptops can cause a fire to ignite when they are left sitting on a blanket, bed comforter, sofa, or another fabric surface.

  • Loose Outlets

We know malfunctioning electrical wiring to be dangerous when it comes to starting fires in the home, but it’s important to view electrical outlets in the same regard. Inside of electrical outlets are blades that can loosen over time. Have you ever attempted to plug a cord into an old outlet and then watched it fall out? This is a tell-tale sign that the outlet’s blades have become too loose. In this condition, there is a greater chance of a fire igniting, as the blades are capable of conducting extreme heat.

  • Glassware

Have you ever watched someone start a fire with a magnifying glass? Magnifying glasses and other types of glassware, including drinking glasses and vases, can ignite a fire when a focused ray of light passes through them and there is a flammable object nearby. In order to avoid this in your home, consider moving glassware away from windows.

The safety of residents of your home, as well as your home itself, are at risk when residential fires spark, as they often spread through the home quickly. Remember these hidden fire hazards and keep them in the back of your mind in order to prevent an unwanted fire.

In the event that a fire ignites in your home, causing fire damage, call SERVPRO. Our team of fire damage experts can be trusted to arrive quickly and remediate any areas of your home that have sustained fire damage in a timely manner. Be sure to read our Fire Brochure and for more information about our fire damage services, click here.

Other News

View Recent Posts